Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Mamy


Mamy* was a teenager in Madagascar who's parents decided they could no longer afford to take care of him. As a young boy, they dropped him off at his uncle's house with a note asking for help.

His uncle wasn't in much of a condition to take care of him either. Once a successful carpenter, he had been hit by a bus and lost the use of both of his legs. His wife left him following the accident.

Determined to not beg, he said he decided that God had taken his legs but left his arms and he could provide for himself. He took sewing classes, and eventually made precious silk tablecloths for tourists. After years of being poor, he worked his way out of poverty. His wife had left, but he and his five children had a decent life.

But taking on one more seemed like too much. He told Mamy as he grew up: "I love you like my own son, but I can't afford to pay for another's schooling." It was a sad reality Mamy faced daily.

Mamy's life, he had decided, was to push his uncle around in his wheelchair wherever he wanted to go. In return, he received room and board. Every Sunday, he would push his uncle for over an hour up and down hills to get to church.

When he turned 17, he learned his parents had died and left him their business of chickens. This was his way out. He could sell the chickens, buy new ones, raise them, and sell them as well. Finally, he saw life out of his uncle's keep.

He learned that he was unable to sell the chickens unless he had a license that cost $20. He knew that neither he nor his uncle could afford that. Imagine... his life would have been set and he would have been able to provide for himself if he could find a mere $20. Sadly and with a shrug, he gave up his dream.

Well, when my parents visited me in Madagascar, they ordered a tablecloth from his uncle. I told them Mamy's story and how much I wished I could help (in my program, we were unable to give money to locals). But my parents were determined to find a way to help.

When the day came for us to leave, Mamy and his uncle delivered the tablecloths to us at my church's headquarters. I didn't know this before hand, but without taking a bus, Mamy had pushed his uncle three hours and up a huge hill to get to us.

When my parents saw him, they were touched that he would push his uncle for three hours to make the delivery... and that he had no shoes!

My dad told me to translate without input. My dad explained to Mamy that in our country, the person making the delivery received a payment as well. My dad took the shoes off his feet, and gave them to Mamy. Then, reaching in his pocket, he handed him 40,000 Ariary (about $20). Mamy tried to refuse and say it was too much, but my dad insisted.

Looking at the money (which was more than he had ever had in his life), he realized this sum was just enough to buy the license. He ran over, gave me and my parents a huge hug, and sobbed. His life was saved.

Do you want to help people like Mamy spiritually and physically? Donate to the youth conference today.

*Name was changed

No comments:

Post a Comment