Saturday, March 15, 2014

How did this begin?

One day as I was eating lunch in Madagascar, I saw a young teenage boy watching me chew on my sandwich.

He was a nervous kid, always staring at me but turning away when I tried to make eye contact. He stood around the corner but kept a close watch, as if he wanted to remain hidden but still wasn't willing to let me out of his sight.

I thought it was nothing more than strange, until I went to throw my sandwich wrapper away. He followed me to the trashcan and immediately grabbed the wrapper. I saw the disappointment spill across his face when he opened it and saw there were no leftovers. I still feel a cringe of guilt whenever I picture it.

When I returned to America, I began working for EFY. I saw the youth having so much fun, and I saw their testimonies grow. I thought about the young boy in Madagascar just wishing for a bit of extra bread. The contrast made me want to do something.

I can’t pull the entire country out of poverty. I can’t provide food for all the kids there who go hungry. But having worked for EFY for almost four years, I can give something back. I can give the youth a bit to smile about. I can help them find the spirit in their lives.

And that’s the goal, to help my brothers and sisters find a bit of happiness in this life, even in difficult circumstances.

Help me out!

Donate today!

- Chad Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment